Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Resource Notes: Applying the Four Moves

(Sports by Nadine Oliverr. Shared Under CC0 1.0. Web Source Flickr)

For this week's resource notes part 2, I applied the four moves to a random article I found online. This article was about the University of Minnesota football and basketball team and how they won a football bowl game and a NCAA post-season tournament of 64 basketball game in the same year. A link to this article can be found here.  To begin this analysis, I will start by checking for and describing the previous work or knowledge on the topic, move to going upstream on the source, switching to reading laterally, and then finish by circling back and confirming the reliability of the article.

In the article their was no check of previous work relating to if the Minnesota football and basketball team's have won a post-season game in the same year. However, the article was written by an individual that specializes in covering Minnesota sports. Due to this, I believe that most of the information should be accurate and reliable. However, to make sure, I will go upstream and find the original source.

The original source I used to fact-check the original source was the gopher sports statistics archives on the gopher sports web page. After checking, I can confirm that this is the first time that the gophers have achieved this feat in its existence. In addition, I can confirm that Ohio State and Iowa did the same as Minnesota this year too.

As for the third move, reading laterally is tough for this article as it isn't so much based on opinion but based on fact. The gopher sports web page is an account run by gopher sports property and base their web page on posting factual results of their sports team. Because of this, it is the truth and honest. In addition, Andy, the author has been in this profession for over 13 years and has a wealth of knowledge on this topic. This also confirms that most of the information posted is accurate and reliable to use.

In closing, I do not need to circle back after reading the post because the author summarized all of the information I was looking for in a concise and overview fashion. Andy did a nice job!

Andy Greder. Gophers win bowl and NCAA tournament game for first time ever. But... Article Link

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ryan, I enjoyed reading your post! I thought you did a great job applying the four steps and from what I can see this article you are speaking of seems reputable. One thing that I did not see in your post was what year the gophers did this. Was it this year or a previous year? I also agree with you that you do not need to circle back. When an article is based off of facts like this, it is pretty easy to fact check on sites such as espn and NCAA.com which are reputable sources. These source could tell you the specific number of wins each team has and you could add them up yourself. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete