Monday, April 22, 2019

Resource Notes: The Ethics of Human Enhancement

The Ethics of Human Enhancement

(DNA by Andy Leppard. Shared Under CC BY 2.0. Web Source: Flickr)

All semester, I have been looking forward to this weeks topic on biotechnology. My interest embarks upon the ethical and implications surrounding the changes to one's biological DNA. In order to be well versed on this topic, I chose to read The Ethics of Human Enhancement by Andy Miah. The article begins by saying that "technology could allow people to make themselves 'better than well' by using enhancements such as brain modifications" (Miah, 2016). This statement prompted me to question the ethics of technology. I believe that allowing individuals to alter and modify their brain power is unethical and provides a disadvantage for individuals and families that do not have the money or ability to do this. Furthermore, I believe things should be left alone and treated for how they are created. This is because humans are produced with many questions.. how they will be when they are born, if they will be smart, healthy, athletic, etc. Altering this affect doesn't provide benefits for the child but instead provides benefit for how the parents want their children to be. I believe this would also be a tough talk parents would have to have with their child if they chose to alter one's DNA. This is because they would have to tell them that you weren't going to be 'perfect' so we needed to alter your DNA for us to 'accept' you. This can be paraphrased through Miah (2016) in which DNA alterations provides a technological shortcut in order for one to achieve a goal. Lastly, I liked how Miah (2016) brought up the affordability of DNA altercations, but I am still skeptical that it would be affordable. I believe this because every thing nowadays is thought to be expensive. I would be mind-blown if they could create a process this advanced to be sold or treated at a relatively inexpensive cost.

Reference:
Miah, A. (2016). The Ethics of Human Enhancement. Web Link: Biotechnology

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I really agreed with you and thought the same thing regarding the ethics of human enhancement. The price factor definitely differentiates the ability of those who are and aren't able to utilize this technology. I also think there are some instances where it is ethical to edit genes - this being in the case of preventing a life-long hereditary disease or something. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete