Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Introduction to Ryan a Kinesiology Major


(Baseball Mound Visit by Joel Dinda. Shared under CC BY-NC 2.0. Web Source: Flickr.)

I am Ryan Goll and I do not have any pets. However, I am a senior completing my degree in Kinesiology through the College of Education and Human Development. The coolest thing about my major is learning how the body works and applying the knowledge that I have learned in class to my daily life. The best class I took last semester was introduction to ice skating. This is because I was able to get back on the ice and skate for the first time since I quit playing hockey in high school. It was also because I was able to skate on a daily basis for free and obtain a quality workout. Over break I had the opportunity to attend the American Baseball Coaches Convention in Dallas, Texas. This convention brought together roughly 8,000 coaches of all levels, ranging from youth to professional baseball, to one place to talk and learn about the sport of baseball. Continuing on, the best movie I saw recently was Bird Box. Bird Box caught my attention because of its unique plot and engaging flashback scenes throughout the movie. Away from the movie scenes, I like to listen to country music because it helps me relax and soothes my mind. Another thing I like, but it pertains to food and eating, is steak with rice and cheese. My long-term goal is to become a head baseball coach for a collegiate baseball program before I am 30 years old. Additionally, I hope this opportunity lands me in a NCAA Division 1 Power 5 Conference program with the ability to lead my team to a College World Series championship. Even though this is my ultimate goal, I am going to start small and hope to land an assistant coaching position with a Division 1 program next year. To remind me where I want to be within the next eight years, I chose to attach a picture of a coach talking to his player as this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. Lastly, if I had an extra day for fun I would spend it not studying and at the baseball field coaching my players. This is because I enjoy and appreciate every minute and chance I get to be on the field impacting the lives of my players. This is why I coach and want to continue coaching post-college.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan,

    It is great to hear about your goals in baseball. I don't know much about it personally, but I have a good friend who is also very into baseball and wants to take a similar path as yours. He talks a lot about the coaches conventions and how they can give you the opportunities you need to be successful in that area. Good luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan - your career goal sounds fun! I'm sure it'll be hard work, but so rewarding. This seems especially true, because it appears that you love the game. I have yet to see Birdbox, but everyone was posting about it not that long ago. I should watch it! I am also a fan of Country music, Eric Church is one of my favorites. His new album is great! I also really enjoy Brothers Osborne's new album as well as Dierks Bentley's. I want to be a talk therapist, so what you said about impacting the lives of other people really resonated with me. Whether it's on the field or in an office, we all have such a potential to help our fellow human. In by doing, I believe it helps us grow as well. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryan,

    I have a roommate who is in the same major so I am a little familiar with it. I have not seen the bird box movie but have heard a lot of mix reviews so I feel like I need to find some time to watch it. I also played baseball growing up and think your goal of pursing a career in coaching is a great goal and I respect it a lot due to having many coaches having such a great impact on me. Good luck in all your classes this semester.

    Connor

    ReplyDelete